New desktop: updates

Luca Roccia little_rock at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 13 20:16:45 CEST 2003

Il lun, 2003-10-13 alle 18:50, Danny Milosavljevic ha scritto:
> Hi!
>
> Am Mon, den 13.10.2003 schrieb Luca Roccia um 18:25:
> > Il dom, 2003-10-12 alle 13:58, Luca Roccia ha scritto:
> > > Icon integration with xfce is finished.
> > > Now you can control icons layout from xfce panel-setup.

> > > Please let me know if you want a preview.
> > Still got prob.s wiyh mail :(
> >
> > Here mvideo.sourceforge.net/xfce4-desktop-b2.tar.bz2 is the new ver.
> >
> > Please note:
> > -you have to install at lease settings/* or there will be no xfce
> > integration for icons and nothing will work...
> > -right now there is support for modifying only .lnk icons (.deskpot are
> > only readable).
> >
> > In attach you'll find a sample .lnk (put theme in ~/desktop/.name.lnk)
>
> Hehe, looks nice :) I especially like the settings plugin icon :)

Glad to hear that :)

> but: Is the desktop icon's initial position always at the top left
> corner? (above each other, that is) or was it only a remainder of the
> previous version :)

Right now you can't create an icon (that will be possible when root menu
is finished). So if you look into a .lnk you'll find X,Y those are the
starting coord.s; if you move the icons new coord.s will be saved.
Anyway now all icons (with caption) should stay under others window and
never be focused. If you find some prob.s please tell me.

> and: will a background picture list be supported ? (a la xfdesktop) ;)

Not right now. First of all I've to write a new setting manager 'cause I
plan to add support for custom bg for any desktop and the one of
xfdesktop isn't good for that. There will be also the "picture list" and
maybe a timer to change the bg.

> also, maybe it would be good to invent multiple seperate areas on the
> desktop. I'm thinking like a seperate area for mountpoints, for
> minimized windows, and for launcher icons (with its own title line above
> the respective area).
> Okay, I stop now :) Don't hit me :)

This is "easy" (well, not so much :)). The biggest prob. is that I've
not yet found a good way to print a text directly onto the root window.
The best idea I've got, is to generate a pixmap with the string and the
shape its border with a window (like what is done for icons).

Luca Roccia <little_rock at users.sourceforge.net>