Worspaces and Margins dialog in CVS

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Thu Oct 9 22:02:44 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 08:45, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Op wo 08-10-2003, om 23:17 schreef Olivier Fourdan:
> Ok. I kept the names for compatibility. Losing these settings is not a
> big problem, I guess.

You can keep the name as long as it doesn't go into xfwm4 :)

> Hmm, it's not very useful to have a separate dialog for workspace names
> though. So, how about I put it in the settings plugin directly? Programs
> should use the _NET_WM hint anyway and we can just use the mcs channel
> for convenient saving/loading. Is that an acceptable solution?

That's definitely the way to go (and I was about doing or suggesting
that) - Move that code directly to the mcs plugin.

> > 4) I don't use gdk_property_change() but X11 native routine (same goes
> > for gdk_x11_xatom_to_atom, etc.) These are pure X11 and I prefer to use
> > Xlib routines for those.

That doesn't apply if the previous applies.

> > 5) xfwm4 has its own static variables for root, display, etc. It's
> > better to stick with the ones from xfwm4 for now, so when/if I ever
> > implement multiple screen management from 1 single xfwm4 instance, that
> > will make my life easier.

Idem

FYI, the new MCS plugin crashes MCS all toghether. I did not have time
to investigate, though. Maybe it's unrelated.

Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org