Worspaces and Margins dialog in CVS

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Thu Oct 9 08:45:26 CEST 2003

Op wo 08-10-2003, om 23:17 schreef Olivier Fourdan:
> Hi Jasper,
>
> It needs rework, I mean, it's not inline with the rest of the code.
>
> 1) MCS value names are prefixed with "Xfwm/" in xfwm.

Ok. I kept the names for compatibility. Losing these settings is not a
big problem, I guess.

> 2) set_workspace_names() has nothing to do in settings.c
> 3) I don't think it's the role of the WM to set workspace names btw

Hmm, it's not very useful to have a separate dialog for workspace names
though. So, how about I put it in the settings plugin directly? Programs
should use the _NET_WM hint anyway and we can just use the mcs channel
for convenient saving/loading. Is that an acceptable solution?

> 4) I don't use gdk_property_change() but X11 native routine (same goes
> for gdk_x11_xatom_to_atom, etc.) These are pure X11 and I prefer to use
> Xlib routines for those.

Ok.

> 5) xfwm4 has its own static variables for root, display, etc. It's
> better to stick with the ones from xfwm4 for now, so when/if I ever
> implement multiple screen management from 1 single xfwm4 instance, that
> will make my life easier.

Ok.

> 6) It seems to me your patch goes further than just moving the MCS
> plugin from xfdesktop to xfwm4. I really want to keep bloat out of
> xfwm4, or at least keep bloat under control ;)

It's just a move and merge with the margins dialog. For the merge I did
move some stuff around, separating the margin settings from the dialog
code, so there are a few new/renamed files.

I'll look at it tonight.

Thanks,
	Jasper