Problems compiling xffm under NetBSD/sparc

edscott wilson garcia edscott at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Oct 8 16:12:52 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 20:27, Biju Chacko wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 19:03:06 +0300, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
>
> > Chris Fuhrman wrote:
> >
> > > Bad news is that I'm trying to compile xfce4 from packages on a
> > > SparcStation5 running NetBSD 1.6.1.  Things seem to go okay except when it
> > [...]
> > > machine has 64MG of RAM w/ 128M swap.  When I do a top, I notice that the
> > > compile process is requesting a LOT of memory (upwards of 50M) so it's no
> > > wonder the poor box is struggling.
> >
> > Yes, I had the same problem when compiling XFce on NetBSD/alpha with
> > only 64 MB of RAM. I had, however, "enough" swap (1 GB) on that machine.
> > In the end the compilation succeeded but it took few days as you
> > might guess :-) And it was not quiet in that room as the disk was
> > spinning like crazy...
> >
> > So if you really want to test your SparcStation, add more swap (using a
> > swapfile, no need to re-disklabel the disk) and let it run for a week
> > or two :-)
>
> Good grief! You really gotta do something about that damn glade interface,
> Edscott. We're supposed to be a low-footprint DE! ;-)

Optimizing the glade generated code is one option, but it impedes future
use of glade. Another option is to use libglade (or so I've heard). But
I don't want to introduce the dependency. The third option is to atomize
the glade project into several smaller modules. This seems fairly easy
to do so I'll probably give it a try.

regards,

Edscott