right-click close-window kills no more

Bernhard Walle Bernhard.Walle at gmx.de
Sat Oct 4 11:20:41 CEST 2003

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 at 10:59 (+0200), Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Feature freeze doesn't mean that you can't remove features before
> release because you find that feature dangerous.
>
> Why dangerous? Because the right-click on close acted like an XKill; The
> application had almost no chance to recover, not even ask the user for
> unsaved data. It was killed, that's it. I did kill the MCS all together
> by moving the mouse on my cluttered desk (the mouse hit another keyboard
> and the right mouse button got pressed, and the pointer was just on the
> "close" button of mcs!)

I also liked this feature but I aggree that just right-clicking is too
dangerous.

Two proposals: Bind the function on Ctrl+middle click for example.
Nobody does this accidently. The alternative would be that Xfce brings
up a confirm dialog if the user wants really to kill that window. This
is the way IceWM handles this, if I remember correctly.

Making a configuration option is not a really good idea because too much
options for everything are bad. Maybe an hidden option only in the
configuration file.

Regards,
Bernhard