Desktop Icons

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Wed Oct 1 04:39:21 CEST 2003

-- Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> wrote
(on Tuesday, 30 September 2003, 09:42 AM +0530):
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:45:12 -0700 (PDT), Erik Harrison wrote:
>
> > --- edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:
> >
> > >Since xfdesktop creates a window on top of the real root window, You
> > >probably should look at modifying xfdesktop4.
> >
> > Oh indeed. But step one for this little learner is to start with a
> > Desklaunch. Ideally, I'd like to see the Backdrop and Menu
> > functionality integreated with a desktop launcher system, and the
> > Workspace mangement either made a seperate module or part of xfwm4.
> > What is the reason that the workspace code is in xfdesktop4 and not the WM?
>
> I've wondered about this too. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. :)
>
> > >The 1.x will cover much of 2.x. Some things are deprecated so you >better
> > >download the api reference from www.gtk.org and check each function
> > >before you use them.
> >
> > API reference is a good idea, but I need a tutorial to get started.
> > I'll take a look at the GTK+ 1 books.
> >
> > >Each application may have an internally defined icon, which should be
> > >used (that's what the taskbar does).
> >
> > What about document icons? I'd like to keep concurrency with xffm. It's
> > not possible to extract the icon for an executable from an unrunning
> > application can you? Maybe I'm being unclear - I don't mean minimized
> > icons, I meant the desktop as a location for links to files and apps.
>
> To do this properly, you would need a lot of filemanager code. Frankly, what I'd
> like is for someone to create a branch of ROX Filer that would integrate better
> with XFce4. The main thing would be replacing it's settings system with MCS, I
> guess and strip out the AppDir stuff. The main thing is that ROX has most of the
> features that anybody would want in a desktop manager. It's a pretty good file
> manager too, and would be a good compliment to xffm.

I use ROX with xfwm4. I *LIKE* the choices system it uses, as well as
the AppDir stuff; the former has made managing program conf files much
easier, and the latter makes making customized versions of programs or
custom programs much easier to use with a GUI. I'd actually like to see
xfwm/xfce be able to specify alternate locations for their settings
files before I'd have ROX tinkered with to use MCS.

Just my 2 cents. ;-)

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
http://weierophinney.net/matthew/