A Hotkey Program?

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Wed Oct 1 04:35:42 CEST 2003

-- Sanford Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong at email.com> wrote
(on Monday, 29 September 2003, 10:39 PM -0700):
> I'm new to the list, but I've been using XFCE 4 for a couple of months,
> and was interested in writing something for it.  One of the things
> Fluxbox does so well is handle programmable hotkeys, keyboard shortcuts
> that let you execute any arbitrary command based on a config file.  Does
> something like this already exist in XFCE?  I was thinking that if not,
> I would love to make it exist.

There are several other applications out there that do this. Somebody
has already mentioned xbindkeys. I've been using epistrophy, which is
bundled with openbox but can run separately, for many months now, and it
is dead easy and netwm compliant. I've also used a program called
keylaunch that goes with desklaunch/deskmenu; they're bundled with
oroborus, but, again, can run separately (I use deskmenu for my context
menu as I'm using ROX-Filer for a pinboard and not xfdesktop4).

My thought on the issue is that there's enough programs like this around
already; perhaps an FAQ item pointing to URLs for the various programs
would be a better solution than building something brand new.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
http://weierophinney.net/matthew/