xffmrc.xml woes

edscott wilson garcia edscott at lunar-linux.org
Fri Nov 28 14:34:20 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 14:28, K Raghu Prasad wrote:
> Hi pals,
>
> I am trying to hide Book, App, Fstab etc. from appearing in xffm.
> For that I modified ~/.xfce4/xffm/xffmrc.xml in the following way:
>
>   <XFFM_HIDE_BOOK value="1"/>
>   <XFFM_HIDE_LOCAL/>
>   <XFFM_HIDE_NETWORK value="1"/>
>   <XFFM_HIDE_APPS value="1"/>
>   <XFFM_HIDE_FIND value="1"/>
>   <XFFM_HIDE_TRASH value="1"/>
>   <XFFM_HIDE_FSTAB value="1"/>

Nope. Those values are not even read. They must have been leftover from
initial xffm versions. The variables you want to modify are set
differently.

The easy way is to use the xfce-mcs-manager. This configuration manager
will save the settings in a different file and communicate the values to
all xffm instances you have running, whether or not they are running on
the same host as the manager, as long as all windows are being displayed
on the same screen.

A different way to set the variables, in case you cannot run the
xfce-mcs-manager for whatever reason, is by the use of environment
variables. For sh just do a "export XFFM_HIDE_BOOK=xxx" or for csh do a
"setenv XFFM_HIDE_BOOK xxxx" before invoking xffm. This is usually best
in a startup script.

The third, shortest path, way is to invoke the branch specific xffm:

xftree4: only shows local branch
xfbook4: only shows bookmarks branch
xfsamba4: only shows network branch
xfapps4: only shows applications branch
xfglob4: only shows find branch
xftrash4: only shows trash branch
xffstab4: only show trash branch.

If a branch is not visible, but you perform an operation which would
require it (like monitor local files with invisible local branch) the
branch will appear when required.

> But it is still showing those entries when I start xfce4 and xffm.
> Also my modifications are disappearing after each restart. What is
> that which I am missing?

And you can also hide a selected branch with the popup menu.

> I have written a script to overrite existing xfce-settings related
> xml files whenever user runs that script. It sets default values to
> not only xfce, but also to other applications. This is being done
> so that those users who change some settings can revert back to the
> original ones. But each time I restart, the values supplied by my
> script is disappearing and user supplied (messed-up:) values are
> taken up.

If you specify xffm options via environment variables, they will be
overridden by xfce-mcs-manager settings if it is running.