desktopmenu future plans?

Tuukka Mäkinen tukem at iki.fi
Fri Nov 21 17:18:29 CET 2003

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> If you're going to write anything to parse the menu, be sure to check
> out the menu-file testing utilities that are also somewhere on
> freedesktop.org.

Checked.

> The easiest way to handle this, I think, is to make the system menu
> read-only and have an editor for a local xfce menu, which should also
> use the menu spec.
>
> The editor could include a way to copy entries from the system menu into
> the local, editable menu.

That would be one solution.

> Just some thoughts,

Thoughts are always welcome.

I'm currently going through freedesktop menu.dtd and trying to get some
structure into this with pen and paper. One thing I noticed is that menu
specification mentions "directory entry" file but I can't find
specification for that. It is propably same as "desktop entry" but in
that case it should be stated clearly.

-Tuukka