Internationalisation problems

Joakim Andreasson joakim.andreasson at gmx.net
Fri May 30 21:52:20 CEST 2003

On 29 May 2003 08:26:59 -0500
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 20:00, Joakim Andreasson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyway, I cannot get internationalisation to work, or even the .mo
> > files installed. All that happens when the make install process
> > reaches the po directories is:
> > Some perhaps usable information about my system:
> >
> > FreeBSD 4.7, gettext (GNU gettext) 0.11.5, libtool
> > 1.3.4-freebsd-ports, automake (GNU automake) 1.7 .
>
> I haven't been able to make internationalization work in freeBSD. On
> exporting the LANG variable, I get:
>
> "Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library"
>
> Although this seems more a gettext/glibc than a xfce4 issue, it would
> be a good thing to get it documented. Does anybody have any clues, or
> is everybody in the dark as Joakim and myself?

That is most likely because the locale you're using is not installed on
the system. I suppose you're trying with es_MX? When I checked, I saw
that that locale isn't present on my system (and thus most likely not on
yours), strangely enough. Try with es_ES.ISO8859-1 instead, allthough i
would guess it is less than ideal regarding currency, etc.

To clarify, I have no such problems, the only programs that
internationalisation won't work for are the xfce4 programs.

Joakim