limit on short cut keys in xfwm4?

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Fri May 30 05:01:47 CEST 2003

-- Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> wrote
(on Friday, 30 May 2003, 08:00 AM +0530):
> On Thu, 29 May 2003 16:43:08 -0400, Matthew Weier OPhinney wrote:
> > Is there any reason for the 10 shortcut-key limit in keythemes? (At
> > least, by experimentation, that's what I've found.) Any possibility of
> > allowing more in the future?
>
> The shortcuts are meant for internal xfwm4 use. They are not to serve as
> a full keystroke manager. There are several third part tools you can use
> for now.
>
> We may address this for 4.2

It's incredibly useful, and with the shortcuts, it *can* serve as a full
key manager. I'd actually prefer that either a) the shortcut keys are
eliminated entirely from xfwm4, or b) the number of shortcut keys be
dynamically scoped so that the user may set as few or as many as s/he
wants. Option (a) goes with the idea of one tool for one job, and I know
that epist works wonderfully with netwm window managers, and does that
one job well. Option (b) goes with the idea that such functionality is
the domain of the window manager, and as such should be managed by it. I
personally don't have a preference -- but I'd prefer to only have one
program grabbing the keys so I don't have to worry about collisions.

In the meantime, I've patched my sources to allow 20 shortcut keys,
which is plenty for me right now. The other option for me is to define
custom key themes that don't use shortcuts (but do define things like
switching workspaces, moving windows, etc.), and then use a tool like
epist or keylaunch to do the job of the xfwm4 shortcut keys.

One little 'bug' I'd like to point out with the keybindings, though:
I've noticed that shortcut keys bound to things like XF86HomePage,
XF86Mail, XF86Audio*, etc. don't work if a window has focus. I've had no
problem with these keys when using epist.

Thanks for all the help!

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew at weierophinney.net