a note about xfhelp4 for doc writers...

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Thu May 29 15:18:20 CEST 2003

-- Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote
(on Wednesday, 28 May 2003, 10:41 PM -0400):
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:22, Matthew Weier OPhinney wrote:
> > I've been wondering for a while why xfhelp4 defaults to mozilla, and
> > then had the bright idea of looking at the xfhelp4 executable... a
> > simple shell script... which grabs the BROWSER environment variable, and
> > defaults to mozilla if it isn't set.
> >
> > So, the note I would make is that if a user wishes to use a different
> > browser with xfhelp4, they should export the BROWSER variable with the
> > appropriate executable from within their shells rc file or within the
> > .xinitrc/.xsession file that starts xfwm/ce4.
> >
> > If this could see its way into the documentation (along with an
> > example), I could see this being greatly appreciated by others. I'd be
> > willing to provide the example and write up the text, if necessary.
>
> 	This is how xfhelp works in xfce3 as well.

Well, it's been a couple years since I used xfce3, and I don't know that
I paid much attention at that time to how xfhelp worked... ;-) I just
wanted to make sure it was in the manual for version 4.

> I have BROWSER=dillo in my rc file.  I must say that dillo makes an
> incredible html document viewer/reader.

I haven't used dillo lately; may need to give it another whirl. I've
been using galeon as my primary web browser, and I have my .xsession
start up the galeon server -- which makes it very speedy when I want to
pop open a new window.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew at weierophinney.net