Impressions

BluPhoenyx quazar at dcnet2000.com
Fri May 16 15:25:13 CEST 2003

> I switched off autohide. I don't really like it. I was just wondering
> about people who do.

On my 1600x1200 desktop, it makes little difference but on my 1024x768 laptop screen every pixel counts. This is especially true when using certain programs such a Mozilla browser or Sylpheed email. In many cases, I just don't want the desktop environment getting in the way while still being available.

I started using this desktop style with Xfce3 and the Gnome 1.x panels quite a while ago. The setup was using the Gnome panel across the top of the screen (with task-list and workspace list on it,) with about three or four pixels visible. Directly underneath was the Xfce panel.

Sadly, software always changes. I dislike using the huge desktops, and Xfce4, while a great desktop environment for my PC, is missing (and probably always will be) a couple of features I need for the laptop. One is the capability to remove the frame and title bar so the full screen app can be truly full screen (IE Vnc sessions, Win4Lin or VmWare.) Another is window/tabbed grouping of applications.

Mike T.