wrong numbering in lib versions

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Fri May 16 13:29:28 CEST 2003

Hey,

Just for my own sake, let me explain my current understanding of our
library versioning policy. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

A libtool library version consists of three digits, refered to as
current:revision:age.

For current and revision the rules seem clear. We only update them for
public releases to prevent version number inflation. For a release:
1) when there are removed, added or changed interfaces, increase
current, set revision to 0;
2) when only implentation changed, increase revision.

The age part is a bit more confusing. The official gnu recommendation
is:
1) when interfaces are added, increase age;
2) when interfaces were removed, set age to 0.

However, we increase the value of age when interfaces have changed in
CVS to be able to depend on them from the configure scripts.

We won't lose any information on releases if we still keep to the gnu
recomendation as well, that is don't set the age to 0 if there were only
interface additions.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

	Jasper