Xfwm4 issues

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Thu May 15 21:39:45 CEST 2003

Hi Joakim,

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 19:49, Joakim Andreasson wrote:
> Hi Olivier, and others,
>
> There has been showing up some problems lately with Xfwm4 relating to (I think mostly)
> window manager hints. The most obvious one to me is that sticky windows, such as Xmms,
> once iconified, don't show up on either the Xfdesktop window list or in the icon box.

Xmms use transients for the playlist and equalizer windows, so those
won't show, that's normal. The main window, though, will show in the
taskbar. I see no problem.

> The other one is that motif hints doesn't seem to be correctly honoured anymore: windows
> that under mwm (i checked, because it seemed a little strange) have only a menu button or
> a menu button and a minimize button under xfwm4 have sometimes a menu button and a
> maximise button, sometimes all enabled buttons (in my case 3). This applies most clearly
> to the nedit file selectors and configuration dialogs, but also the xfce mcs settings
> dialogs seem to be affected. (Not that it bothers me THAT much, but I think mwm compliance
> is one of xfwm4's 'selling points', so I thought you might want to know.)

First of all, no, mwm compliance is absolutely not a priority, far from
it.

This said, there is a mwm hint for both hide and maximize, but from my
experience some major apps don't use them very well and some windows end
up with some buttons being hidden while they should not. So that part
has been removed (specifically the hide and maximize hints) on purpose.

The maximize button appears when the window is actually resizeable. I
see no reason from preventing the user from maximizing his window using
the button if he can do it "by hand" otherwise.

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org