feature requests to xfwm and xfce4-panel

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sun May 11 14:56:39 CEST 2003

Hi Andre,

On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 07:01, Andre Leubner wrote:

> 1. xfwm: change of the desktop with mousemovement,
> eg: move the mouse to right screen-border, change to the next desk

I think it's not really needed, you already have the pager, the mouse
wheel and you can drag windows from desk to desk.

> 2. xfce4-panel: buttons without menu, like the system buttons,
> but with user defineable commands

I would support that, as I believe it's easy to implement and would very
unlikely break things (before 4.0).

Jasper ? Do you want me to do it or you do it ? I see two ways of
acheiving that, changing the current launcher module by adding a check
box (something like "attach a menu to launcher [x]") or create a new
module just for this (but that would be a waste of code/memory/time IMO)

> 3. xfce4-panel, mail checker: pop/imap support? ok, could be done
> with other tools(downloading to mbox), but would be fine...

Already discussed a long ago, we are waiting for a contribution for
this. It's fairly easy, there are tons of example code arround (gkrellm,
gnome, etc.) so that's a perfect candidate for a contributed module
(xfce4-extras)

> 4. (already discussed) xffm splitview...

Already answered. Not before 4.2 as it's too risky for 4.0 (let's make
xffm stable, release 4.0 and after, we'll have time for such things if
Edscott feels like implementing it)

> 5. xfwm: transparent window decoration like in waimea(.org)

Already discussed and answered. Please not that's no really transparency
anyway, because what you see thru is the wallpaper, not what's behind
the window.

> btw, I'm a c++ coder, until now, mostly developing apps using MFC/win32 api under windows,
> maybe i could do anything? I'm not good in gtk (not yet).

Great, why not trying the pop/imap mail checker then ?

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org