xffm settings and mcs

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Sat May 10 07:29:58 CEST 2003

El vie, 09-05-2003 a las 13:13, Jasper Huijsmans escribió:
> On 09 May 2003 11:59:43 -0500
> edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:
> >
> > I think I can make the switch without much trouble. Replacing
> > XFFM_HIDE_FSTAB, XFFM_HIDE_BOOK, XFFM_HIDE_LOCAL, XFFM_HIDE_NETWORK,
> > XFFM_HIDE_APPS, XFFM_HIDE_FIND, XFFM_HIDE_TRASH,XFFM_APPEND_FILES and
> > XFFM_HOLD_XTERM with simple checkboxes in the plugin would make the
> > interface much cleaner. All the values except SMB_USER should also be
> > saved. XFFM_STATUS_LINE_LENGTH, XFFM_MAX_PREVIEW_SIZE would serve
> > better as numeric spin buttons. That would leave the editable treeview
> > with XTERM, XFFM_HOME, SMB_USER and SMB_CODESET. Do you want me to go
> > ahead with these modification? (i.e., does it make sense?)
> >

> It certainly makes sense. One question, why do you say SMB_USER should
> not be saved? Isn't it highly likely that the user will want to use that
> again? Also, values that are not saved should IMO not be in the settings
> dialog at all, you should prompt for them when first needed and save
> them in memory for the duration of one session.

xfsamba4 will prompt for user%password like that, but there are
situations when a user does not want to wait for the password prompt (it
takes time to query the server). So the option is left open. Besides,
the smbclient program may use the environment variables USER and
PASSWORD to construct the user%password string. So using the optional
SMB_USER method is equivalent to the using the USER,PASSWORD in
smbclient.

And then, if you really want to be unsafe and save SMB_USER, you can
always do an "export SMB_USER=user%password" in the .xinitrc file. This
value will be inherited to xfsamba4, and will remain unless changed by
the mcsmanager.

saludos

Edscott