Fw: Re: xfdesktop menu question

Linus Fagerberg linus at kth.se
Tue May 6 10:22:36 CEST 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003 13:27:47 +0200, Juraj Ziegler wrote:

> You could start by looking in your home directory, whether
> .xsession-errors exists. And if it does not exist, the output of X is
> probably written to the console where you ran startx.

I've already chexked my home dir and I don't have an .xsession-errors file.
And yes it is written to the console I ran startx from. do you know how I
could redirect the output from this console to a file? I tried with "startx
> error.log" but I didn't get anything in that file (error.log), the error
messages was wissible in the console after I quit xfce though.

> The system-generated menu for applications should appear between the
> title and the first separator. But I don't have anymore time to explore
> this. It works OK for me, and when it didn't work, it was fault of the
> "menu" package not working, not of xfce4.
>
> Yes. That't the point of it. That you find e.g. Mozilla under Apps/Net,
> whatever window manager you use. And that you don't have to edit the
> menu files by hand, everytime you (un)install something.

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it and I understand that you have other
things to do. As Biju Chacko wrote on the subject (Tue, 6 May 2003 08:45:51
+0530) the menu generated by the system is debian specific and thats why I
was lost for a while. I've always used RH since it works (is supported) with
a commercial finite element code (ANSYS) we use at my department. I've
always had to edit the root menu by hand after installing a new wm. Mabye
I'll try debian when I have to reinstall/upgrade my system.

Vänliga hälsningar (Best regards)
/Linus