Fw: Re: xfdesktop menu question

Juraj Ziegler e at hq.sk
Mon May 5 12:11:28 CEST 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:16:04AM +0200, Linus Fagerberg wrote:
> I'm the one starting the thread about "xfdesktop menu question" from
> yesterday but I'm using my work adress today and I'm not sure if this letter
> will end up where I suppose to.
>
> On Mon, 5 May 2003 00:21:43 +0200, Juraj Ziegler wrote:
>
> > So, check you error-log (wherever it is), and whether your menu gets
> > generated (if it's generated on the fly when packages are installed).
>
> I'm not using gdm or any other login manager. I use startx and a modified
> .xinitrc file
> xfce-mcs-manager
> xfwm4 --daemon
> xfdesktop &
> exec xfce4-panel
>
> Because of this I don't get any .xsession-error file (or am I
> missunderstanding something?).

Depends on your startx and associated scripts. As already mentiond, I
use Debian, and I have a .xsession-errors file. The standard (or error?
i'm not sure right now) output of the X server process is redirected into it.
And start X through startx as well.

> I'm not sure if I understand if "the menu is genarated on the fly".
> I copied menu.xml from /usr/local/etc/xfce4/ to ~/.xfce4/ (and also to
> ~/.xfce4/settings/)

Debian, and I assume other distros as well, uses a package called "menu"
to dynamically create menus for various window managers. Each package
which wants to have a menu entry includes a file with the definition of
this entry. The menu package knows how to convert these definitions into
a menu-file, that can be used by specific window managers (i.e. one
conversion for WindowMaker, another conversion for xfce4, etc.). If a
new package is installed, the menu is regenerated automatically. And
most window managers keep an eye on the resulting file, and re-read it
if it has changed. This way, your menu (provided by the window manager)
is always up-to-date.

I hope this was clear enough :)

> I'm not using the original gtk package shipped with the RH7.3 CD but an
> updated version from ximian (I use red-carpet to keep my system up to date).
> I don't want to upgrade to gtk2.2 because that basicly means I have to
> upgrade to RH9 and I don't have the spare time just now.

I personally don't believe it has anything in common with the version of
gtk.

[e]

>e at hq.sk<                   /(bb|[^b]{2})/                 >http://hq.sk/~euro<
        "always know what you say, but do not always say what you know"