Fw: Re: xfdesktop menu question

Linus Fagerberg linus at kth.se
Mon May 5 11:16:04 CEST 2003

I'm the one starting the thread about "xfdesktop menu question" from
yesterday but I'm using my work adress today and I'm not sure if this letter
will end up where I suppose to.

On Mon, 5 May 2003 00:21:43 +0200, Juraj Ziegler wrote:

> So, check you error-log (wherever it is), and whether your menu gets
> generated (if it's generated on the fly when packages are installed).

I'm not using gdm or any other login manager. I use startx and a modified
.xinitrc file
xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
xfdesktop &
exec xfce4-panel

Because of this I don't get any .xsession-error file (or am I
missunderstanding something?).

The error message previously posted did I get when starting xfce4 with the
following .xinitrc
xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
exec xfce4-panel
and thereafter starting xfdesktop from a gnome-terminal (bash).

I'm not sure if I understand if "the menu is genarated on the fly".
I copied menu.xml from /usr/local/etc/xfce4/ to ~/.xfce4/ (and also to
~/.xfce4/settings/)

I'm not using the original gtk package shipped with the RH7.3 CD but an
updated version from ximian (I use red-carpet to keep my system up to date).
I don't want to upgrade to gtk2.2 because that basicly means I have to
upgrade to RH9 and I don't have the spare time just now.

Thanks for your help.
/Linus