xfprint conflict

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Mar 27 15:21:43 CET 2003

On Thu, 27, Mar 2003, edscott wilson garcia wrote:

> Benny,

Hello Edscott,

>   While working on switching the print command of xffm from lpr to
> xfprint I've got a problem. Since I have xfce3 installed in usr/bin, it
> finds the xfprint script before the xfprint gui. How about changing the
> name to xfprint4 (or adding a symlink $prefix/bin/xfprint4 ->
> $prefix/bin/xfprint during "make install")? That could solve the
> conflict.

Do it :-)

>  BTW, it looks really good along with xfprint-manager. What would be
> nice to see in xfprint-manager would be a listing of jobs in queues, and
> a simple way to cancel them.

Yeah, thats what I wanted too, but its quite hard (or better impossible) to
get this with different printing systems (thats why I mentioned to drop
support for everything but CUPS).

But since I still use lpr (and besides that I like lpr more than CUPS in
some ways), I see no good solution for the joblisting/killing feature.
We could call lpq frequently, but thats a bad solution.

Any other ideas?

> Edscott

regards,
Benedikt

BTW: A different issue: I'd really like to see xfce using catgets instead of
gettext for two reasons: a) catgets is POSIX standard (gettext is simply a
SunOS/Solaris thang) and b) the gettext backend is slow and ugly (and you
can easily run into problems with that) whereas catgets has a simply and fast
backend. Just to mention: catgets is still not an optimal solution, but its
a better solution than gettext (especially GNU gettext) from my point of view.

    -- Henry Spencer