never mind - Re: xfce-mcs-manager build problem

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Wed Mar 26 02:06:46 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 19:33, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> I actually did start something once that was almost as bad. I learned of a
> trick for deleting files older than a certain user specified date and
> time. It was described as a quick easy way to get rid of  old /tmp files.
> Once I did a small practice run and it seemed to work, I went to delete
> all the files in /tmp older than a week or two. Unfortunately after I
> started the process and realized that it was taking a while I noticed
> that instead of typing /tmp, I had typed /usr. I stopped it and the system
> wasn't dead but it was crippled until my next fresh install.

	The one I did was "chmod -R 644 .*" on a subdir in my home.  I didn't
notice it until I tried to do an ls and got - -bash: ls: command not
found.  OC, nothing at all was executable on the entire system.  Had to
do a reinstall, too.

--
Farewell neighbor.  Thank you for giving us a safe place for so many
years.