The notorious Xffm window resizing

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Tue Mar 25 04:58:09 CET 2003

Joakim:

  It's good to get your feedback. Let's see...

El lun, 24-03-2003 a las 20:40, Joakim Andreasson escribió:
> Hi Edscott et al.,
>
> Having recently tried out Xffm again I am sad to say the frequent
> resizing of the window (yes even with the Paths Abreviated option set)
> to a size considerably larger than my screen just makes it too
> cumbersome to use for me on a day to day basis -- it just gets too
> irritating in the long run to have to manually resize the window all the
> time.
>
> You see, even if the file names themselves are abrivated the command
> used to open the files when double-clicked is not, which in the case the
> command is something like "sudo mplayer -vo dga -ao oss -framedrop -idx"
> (for movie files) the window gets insanely wide on my 800x600 screen.
> But even with shorter commands it is irritating when the window resizes.
> Now, I never have a problem with file names being too long in the tree
> view, it is rather a problem having them abbreviated because I cannot
> allways tell them apart. The problem occurs only with them being printed
> in the status line.
>
> So I would most humbly (sp?) ask, could there be an option to disable
> the status line alltogether? This way those who like the current
> resizing behaviour wouldn't be bothered. Otherwise, could the commands
> used to open files be abbreviated too (but there still are other rather
> long-winded things being printed in the status line, so...)? And could
> the "Paths abbreviated" options be made to only apply to what's being
> written in the status line? Dragging the column titles in the Treeview
> abbreviates much more flexibly there.

As you noted, not only paths cause this unwanted growth. Trying to solve
each individual case does not work very well. The best, simplest, and
quickest solution would be to tell gtk2 *not* to resize the whole window
when the text does not fit into the status line. Maybe by truncating any
text sent to the status line to a certain width. That's an easy fix. The
difficult part is to determine how many characters are acceptable for a
status line.
Any opinions on status line length?

The option to disable the status line should also happen, but not on the
first release. On the first release the status line has to work properly
(no unwanted resizing).

> There also seem to be a few bugs in the mcs plugin for Xffm, since if I
> try to set some options from there does other things than intended.
> Frex, trying to get Xffm to display the navigation toolbar from there
> only disables the menubar.

Hmmm. Unfortunately you are right. It must be fixed before rc1.

thanks for the feedback,

Edscott