The notorious Xffm window resizing

Joakim Andreasson joakim.andreasson at gmx.net
Tue Mar 25 03:40:07 CET 2003

Hi Edscott et al.,

Having recently tried out Xffm again I am sad to say the frequent
resizing of the window (yes even with the Paths Abreviated option set)
to a size considerably larger than my screen just makes it too
cumbersome to use for me on a day to day basis -- it just gets too
irritating in the long run to have to manually resize the window all the
time.

You see, even if the file names themselves are abrivated the command
used to open the files when double-clicked is not, which in the case the
command is something like "sudo mplayer -vo dga -ao oss -framedrop -idx"
(for movie files) the window gets insanely wide on my 800x600 screen.
But even with shorter commands it is irritating when the window resizes.
Now, I never have a problem with file names being too long in the tree
view, it is rather a problem having them abbreviated because I cannot
allways tell them apart. The problem occurs only with them being printed
in the status line.

So I would most humbly (sp?) ask, could there be an option to disable
the status line alltogether? This way those who like the current
resizing behaviour wouldn't be bothered. Otherwise, could the commands
used to open files be abbreviated too (but there still are other rather
long-winded things being printed in the status line, so...)? And could
the "Paths abbreviated" options be made to only apply to what's being
written in the status line? Dragging the column titles in the Treeview
abbreviates much more flexibly there.

There also seem to be a few bugs in the mcs plugin for Xffm, since if I
try to set some options from there does other things than intended.
Frex, trying to get Xffm to display the navigation toolbar from there
only disables the menubar.

Regards,
Joakim