desktop menu idea

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sun Mar 23 16:53:11 CET 2003

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:11:57 +0100
Michael Jakl <mj at int-x.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 12:52:38PM +0100, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > Just a quick thought on the desktop menu. I really don't have time
> > to do any development at the moment I'm afraid, so I'll just drop
> > the idea here.
> >
> > It would be very helpful if the desktop menu file
> > (~/.xfce4/menu.xml) could include other files. This would make it
> > quite easy to have scripts that generate submenus, e.g. for a debian
> > menu or a gnome/kde menu.
> >
> > Then, only one line needs to be added to the user's menu.xml and the
> > generated menu can be updated independently.
> >
> > <include name="debian.xml"/>
> >
> > I don't know how hard it would be, but it doesn't sound too
> > complicated to me.
>
> Isn't this done by XML (system) entities? Just like described in
>     http://www.xml.com/pub/a/98/08/xmlqna2.html
>
> I don't know if your XML Parser can handle this, or even if you use
> one?

That's a very interesting suggestion. We use libxml2, which is fully
capable of using entities.

I just added an entity to my menu file and it is being parsed correctly,
but the included file doesn't get parsed ...

Ok, I had to added 'xmlSubstituteEntitiesDefault(1);' before parsing the
file and now it works!

I added this:

<!DOCTYPE xfdesktop-menu [
	<!ENTITY menu2 SYSTEM "menu2.xml">
]>
<xfdesktop-menu>
 &menu2;
</xfdesktop-menu>

Does anyone think this can be useful? I can add it to CVS now, with an
updated menu.xml to show an example (commented out). What do you think?

	Jasper