Repeating keystrokes

Michael Jakl mj at int-x.org
Sun Mar 23 11:20:36 CET 2003

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 10:10:08AM +0100, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Keyboard repeat rate is set from the settings dialog (start it from the
> desktop menu, the panel move handler right click menu or by running
> xfce-settings-show).

I guess the "problem" isn't a proper repeat rate, but a little "hang"
somewhere in the system.
I'll try to describe it a little bit concretely:
First occurrence:
I use galeon (1.2.8) to post some articles to a forum, when I press
backspace (with normal repeat rate I would guess to delete about 5 chars),
the cursor deletes nearly the whole line (or more).
I've also tried it without any window manager (failsafe xterm :-) I
don't get that behaviour.
You could try it at any vBulletin forum. Write a few lines and try
deleting some chars.

Second occurrence:
I'm using eclipse with (gtk2 version) to write some java programs, now
when I indent a whole block with tabulator, sometimes 3-4 tabs are recognized.

or
When I'm switching the workspaces with Ctrl+Alt+left/right sometimes I'm
stepping over a workspace (one with a "fat" proggie like eclipse or
galeon). I'm able to get on this workspace when I'm to pressing the key
*really* short (or use the mouse :-).

I'm not sure, but I think it appears when XFce was running a long time -
but it's not really reproduceable.

I've tried to set the repeat rate  for the keyboard down (very slow),
with this setting the galeon problem is gone, but this setting isn't
really useable :-(.

BTW is it usefull to somebody that the keyboard repeat rate "middle" is
so fast, so that when I try delelete a few chars at once (with backspace)
the whole line is gone? Oh, and there is no significant speedup between
setting "middle" and "fast"... .

I'm sorry I can't give a better description, and I really don't know if
it is xfce specific (but I guess so). It's also possible that it's a
galeon and eclipse problem, but what about the workspace issue?

HTH
Michael

--
Michael Jakl <mj at int-x.org> http://www.int-x.org
We should forget about small efficencies, say about 97 %