Panel Autohide?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Wed Mar 19 15:31:18 CET 2003

On 19 Mar 2003 08:06:08 +0000
Erik Touve <etouve at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Message: 2
> > Subject: Re: Panel Autohide
> > From: Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net>
> > To: xfce4-dev at xfce.org
> > Date: 19 Mar 2003 08:49:23 +0530
> >
> > On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 04:54, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > > hmm, you mean simply hiding to the nearest edge? left/right for
> > > vertical mode and top/bottom for horizontal I presume.
> > > Interesting.
> >
> > I think that this behavior could be confusing. Imagine if the panel
> > is place somewhere near the centre of the screen. Say the bottom
> > edge is closest. It autohides to a 1 pixel line at the bottom of the
> > screen. WHen the user mouses over it, it disappears from there and
> > reappears in the centre. The user then has to mouse all the way over
> > to the center to actually do anything! Very inefficient!
> >
> > Why not have the panel reduce to a single grab handle? When the user
> > mouses over the grab handle, it scrolls out to a full sized panel.
> >
> > More intuitive, IMHO.
> >
> > -- b
>
> Well, I think that the suggestion that autohide only works if the
> panel is on the screen edge would prevent the panel from autohiding if
> it was not on a screen edge.

Not necesary, IMO. People having their panel in the center of the screen
(which sounds rather silly to me) just shouldn't use autohide and aren't
likely to want to use it anyway ...

> Maybe there should be two types of autohide?  One based on grab
> handle, the other like the taskbar?

Aargh, please no ;-) We should go with one or the other. Since the mouse
target for collapsing to a single move handle is much harder to reach
then the screen edge I think hiding to the nearest screen edge will be
better.

	Jasper