Panel Autohide?

Erik Touve etouve at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 19 09:06:08 CET 2003

> Message: 2
> Subject: Re: Panel Autohide
> From: Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net>
> To: xfce4-dev at xfce.org
> Date: 19 Mar 2003 08:49:23 +0530
>
> On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 04:54, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > hmm, you mean simply hiding to the nearest edge? left/right for
> > vertical mode and top/bottom for horizontal I presume. Interesting.
>
> I think that this behavior could be confusing. Imagine if the panel is
> place somewhere near the centre of the screen. Say the bottom edge is
> closest. It autohides to a 1 pixel line at the bottom of the screen.
> WHen the user mouses over it, it disappears from there and reappears in
> the centre. The user then has to mouse all the way over to the center to
> actually do anything! Very inefficient!
>
> Why not have the panel reduce to a single grab handle? When the user
> mouses over the grab handle, it scrolls out to a full sized panel.
>
> More intuitive, IMHO.
>
> -- b

Well, I think that the suggestion that autohide only works if the panel
is on the screen edge would prevent the panel from autohiding if it was
not on a screen edge.

Maybe there should be two types of autohide?  One based on grab handle,
the other like the taskbar?

-Erik

--
Erik Touve <etouve at earthlink.net>