xfdesktop

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Fri Mar 14 11:19:00 CET 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:54:36 +0100
Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> > Why do we need file locking?
>
> To prevent data file corruption in any case.

Hmm, xfdesktop is already ensured to be a unique app, so there is not
much chance of another process reading the file, is there?

> > What's wrong with g_file_get_contents()?
>
> a) a single read(2) is sufficient to read the contents of a regular
> file
>    on UNIX systems
> b) g_file_get_contents() does not use file locking.

Well, the reason I ask is that I prefer to use glib functions as much as
possible because of portability reasons (oh, and convenience of course).

I cannot judge the necessity of these things, so I'm glad you have a
look at them. I just want to make sure we take as much advantage of the
libraries we depend on as possible :)

> > On a side note, I saw you removed the unused prevnumber variable.
> > Apparently I wanted to make sure to not set the same backdrop twice,
> > but forgot to implement that ;-) I still like the idea.
>
> I'll implement that :)

great!

	Jasper