circular dependencies in xfce-mcs-manager and xfce-utils

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Mar 12 12:52:32 CET 2003

On Wed, 12, Mar 2003, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

Hello Jasper,

> Niraj, this is a new CVS module, that I didn;t know we we're going to
> use,yet ... It's in xfce-devel/libxfce4util
>
> Benny, are we going to use your libutils package now? Please, can you
> post to the mailing list what is in there now and what's the intended
> purpose.

Oh, sorry I forgot about that. Yes, I recently changed xfce-mcs-manager to
use the xfce_get_{home,user}file methods, as this is a) a safe way to
determine the users home directory and b) makes it possible to choose
another ~/.xfce4 at run time.

I stripped libxfce4util down, so that it does not contain any GUI stuff,
only basic util routines as you suggested. The xfce_filter_* stuff might
be removed from the libxfce4util, I'm not sure whether this might be
of some use to other modules than xfprint, we'll see.

> Secondly, and I really don't like to talk about these things, I'd like
> to discuss the licensing. I know, he who writes the codew gets to decide
> the license, but I do intend to contribute code as well, and I think we
> should be clear on this. Personally I would prefer LGPL, which would
> also be consistent with the rest of the project. I know you want to put
> your code under a BSD license.

AFAIK the KDE project for example puts some basic stuff under BSD license
too, to allow people to use KDE and contribute to KDE in whatever way
they want to.

> Olivier, I would do whatever you feel is right for the project. If you
> don't mind the BSD license I will put my contributions to libutil under
> that license as well. I do think there shouldn't be more than one
> license inside one module.

You can contribute to libxfce4util stuff and put it under whatever license
you want to. The only requirement is that you add a note to the COPYING
file, that some of the stuff is not BSD licensed. Thats the reason why
I prefer free licenses: It allows developers and contributers to to whatever
they want to do and to contribute code with whatever license they prefer.
No need to put the code under a specific license.

> 	Jasper

regards,
Benedikt

    -- Henry Spencer