usability in panel and xffm: pre-selected texts

Bernhard Walle Bernhard.Walle at gmx.de
Sat Jun 28 15:40:19 CEST 2003

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 at 08:16 (-0500), edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 04:34, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 at 15:42 (+0200), Bernhard Walle wrote:
> > >
> > > I recognized that there are some cases of pre-selected (or should I call
> > > it pre-marked) texts. One case is the "Add starter" dialog of the panel,
> > > one other the "Go to" dialog in xffm.
> >
> > I saw now there's a inconsitency: The dialog to add a new icon on the
> > panel does not pre-select anything but the (similar-looking) dialog to
> > add a menu entry in a panel-submenu.
> >
> > Because the dialogs are very similar I don't think that it is a good
> > idea to have a different behaviour. I would prefer to not pre-select the
> > position in the second dialog.
>
> I like the way the mozilla "location" entry/combo works (with a limited
> history depending on autocompletion) and would like to see the xfce4
> entry/combo's work that way. But this might not solve the issue with the
> cut'n'paste. What do you think?

Hm, it depends on the use. For the "Go to" line of xffm it would be a
good idea, but not in every combobox.

But I think this has nothing to do with pre-selecting texts. Even
Mozilla on Unix has turned this off by default (there is a option for
prefs.js to turn this on in the locatin bar). Not so Mozilla on MS
Windows.

And even in the dialog I mentioned it makes no sense for me. Why marking
the position number in a spinbox? The normal way to use this widgets is
to click on the up/down arrows or to use the cursor keys. So it makes no
sense for me. And it's only in the panel-submenu dialog, not in the
add-starter-to-panel dialog.

It's annoying for me because if I add a program I search a suitable icon
in another application and copy the filename but the pre-selection
destroys my selection. (And much applications support only primary X
selection not X clipboard.)

And because in the one dialog it's pre selected in the other not I think
at least it should be uniform, what do you think? And who is responsible
for the panel? Oliver?

Regards,
Bernhard