switching desktops with mouse.. (possible bug)

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sun Jun 22 22:44:07 CEST 2003

Anto,

There are basically two ways for implementing that feature:

1) Listen to mouse move events on the root window.
   => Very simple implementation.
   But, some apps don't let the events get thru, so we don't catch all
   the events.
2) Map input only small windows on all edges that wil receive the events
   => A bit more complex (not *that* much though), but requires
   definitely more code and testing, to avoid side effects with other
   apps. Furthermore, keeping those windows arround means that they must
   be kept on top of the stack, whetever happens.

The "switch workspace" option has been added recently, I was more or
less against it, and I really don't see the point in adding more
complexity to the code just for that.

Another side effect, more positive, is that you don't accidently switch
workspace when working inside a window.

As I usually like to say, I see no point in bloating the software for
100% of the user with features that will be used by maybe 10% of them.

Cheers,
Olivier.

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org