Seeking HOWTO xsm with xfce4

BluPhoenyx quazar at dcnet2000.com
Sat Jun 21 07:30:07 CEST 2003

On 20 Jun 2003 20:55:03 -0400
Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:

> 	Has anyone done this?  What are the procedures to setting it
> 	up?  Since
> I was reminded of ~/Desktop/Autostart I really don't need true
> session handling but I wanted to test it a bit anyway.  If I can
> squeeze some time I was going to try and write a tip or something to
> go along with the docs.

This was discussed a bit earlier for another user who wanted to try it. You should be able to search the messages or the archives. XSM can be rather tedious and I find it usually isn't worth the trouble. However, I posted some simple info to get a simple session going.

Since you have Gnome, you might also try searching for the Gnome session info which another user posted about. IIRC, between that and Xfce4 you get a pretty good setup.

As for the issues regarding ~/.xinitrc (and ~/.xsession) they are generally launched by selecting the 'default' entry in the gdm/kdm/xdm/wdm. Which one gets launched I've forgotten but the easiest work around for me is .xinitrc is symlinked to .xsession. This simple method allows the user access to the same desktop whether loading from the console or a display manager.

Mike T.