iDesk problems with Xfce4 Beta1

Danny danny.milo at gmx.net
Thu Jun 19 11:30:28 CEST 2003

Hi!

Am Mit, 2003-06-18 um 21.56 schrieb Olivier Fourdan:
> Peter,
>
> xfdesktop might be hiding it, as it maps a window on top of the root
> window.
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

I've been hacking around to make idesk work together with xfdesktop... I
first tried to make the idesk window a child of the xfdesktop window and
make it transparent... well... first part=possible, second part=I-cant
;)

So I hacked xfdesktop to include idesk in source :)

All works well, remaining thing is the event loop. idesk is a X program,
but xfdesktop needs the gtk related X events.

the offending fn in idesk is XDesktopContainer::eventLoop() :

    XEvent ev;

    for(;;)
    {
        XNextEvent(display, &ev);
        event = ev;
        parseEvent();
    }

I have no idea how to "give" gtk the events "I" am not interested in  :(

However, I'd rather make the idesk window a child of the xfdesktop
window and make it transparent, but how ? :)

Can there be a client message in xfdesktop to query it's backdrop window
to be used as parent for another prog ?

hehe, do I make any sense ? :)

cheers,
  Danny