Howto release (suggestions)

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at student.uni-siegen.de
Mon Jun 16 15:15:54 CEST 2003

> >  Opinions?
>
> During the beta period we need to push fixes out ASAP. Having untested
> fixes or reports of fixed bugs doesn't help us IMO. I would like to
> see
> beta releases every 7-14 days.

Thats a good point. But we need some coordination for the beta releases
too.

> Production releases should happen every only couple of months, so a
> more comprehensive release cycle is appropriate.
>
> Finally, we need a Release Manager who has final responsibility for
> releases. There is a danger otherwise that people will assume that
> "someone else will do it" and tasks will slip through the cracks.

The "release team" was a similar approach. We need coordination! I
don't think, one man can do the job. Atleast I would like to see a more
democratic way, thats why I asked for a "team".

So what about having a "release team" (which has a leader, the "release
manager") the responsibility for releases (including betas and rcs).
The developers suggest when to do a release, and the release team
decides when to do it (Olivier has veto of course :).

What brought me to the idea is that there are a lot of people willing
to use XFce4 out there, if they would only know that XFce4 is available.

Benedikt

--
NetBSD operating system:                         http://www.NetBSD.org/
pkgsrc "Work in progress":                    http://pkgsrc-wip.sf.net/