Future of XFce3

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 22:08:04 CEST 2003

--- Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:
> > What is planned for XFce3 after XFce4 release? Personally, I think it is
> > a fine bit of code and probably has a lot of utility left in it.

My favorite things about 3: lightweight, good performance on even old PCs, nice
looking, few library dependancies, one small package to download, keystrokes
were like I was used to in Windows, easy to use, easy to install and configure
(xfce_setup was great), editing text files were not completely required (got
tired of editing my blackbox menu file), the default apps (file manager and
console) could be changed, double-clicking on the titlebar maximized the window
(THANK YOU!  I'd gotten used to that in Windows), excellent Xinerama support,
and I could teach newbies how to use it in minutes because it was mostly
intuitive.  I'd never found a better window manager for *nix or even Windows.
Period.

I've installed 4 this week and *really* like the look.  The speed seems about
the same, but I have a fast computer; how does it do on a Pentium 75 w/32MB
RAM?  XFCE3 was fine.  I also had to install more packages to get it working.*
And I mentioned on this list a Xinerama problem I didn't have with 3.

* You probably chose to do this as a feature so people could install just what
they wanted.  But a one-package install was quite convenient.

If these (very minor) issues could be addressed, or if I could be corrected if
I misunderstand, I'd forget about 3 (:  As it is, I'll keep the packages JUST
in case...

Please keep XFCE3 somewhere on your website, too.

=====
/dev/idal
"GNU/Linux is free freedom" --Me