Future of XFce3

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sun Jun 1 20:30:06 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 01:03, Biju Chacko wrote:

> What is planned for XFce3 after XFce4 release? Personally, I think it is
> a fine bit of code and probably has a lot of utility left in it.
>
> Certainly, I would say that it's CDE emulation is a lot better than 4's.
> CDE emulation is not a high priority for XFce4.
>
> So I would not like XFce3 to be put into deprecated/obsolete status. So,
> if it's ok with Olivier, I'd like to suggest that somebody take up
> maintainership of XFce3.
[...]
> I think a decision on this needs to be taken ASAP, before bitrot begins
> to set in to the XFce3 codebase.
>
> Any comments?

	I talked with Olivier about this just before or as xfce4 was starting.
I think he'd be happy to see someone take up work on 3 but no one has
volunteered yet.  I would be, alas, I can't do C/GTK/X programming and
by the time I could get up to speed xfce6 would probably be out.
Personally, I would be thrilled if there was some way to keep xfce3
alive.  Just wish I could actually do something to help it.

--
Paradise; can it be all I heard it was?
I close my eyes and maybe I'm already there.