RC3 delayed until August 6

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Thu Jul 31 03:29:16 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 16:53, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Ok, I hate to have to announce another delay in rc3, but in view of
> recent window management 'oddities' Olivier wanted to take a bit more
> time to find the Right(TM) solution.
>
> So, we'll take another week to polish up our CVS modules and hope to a
> release candidate worthy of that tile ready on wednesday, 6 August.

	I have been thinking...  (Run away!  Run away!)

	I don't think having actual dates published for the releases is such a
good idea.  I don't mean that having deadlines is bad; after all if
there weren't any no software project would ever make it past the beta
stage (see 90% of the stuff on freshmeat for an example).  What I mean
is that there shouldn't be actual dates listed on the web or any
announcements for 4.0.  Dates would be best if only used by the people
in the list & irc.  This will keep us from having to answer the flood of
"When will it be finished?" and "You said it was going to be out
yesterday!" posts.  My idea is to have dates, like 8/6/03, only present
in this list and only references to current status on the web site and
PR's.  i.e.

"XFce 4.0 status is currently _RC2_."
"ETA for final release version is Real Soon Now<tm>"
"Please join the xfce4-dev list for more information."

Thoughts?

--
Paradise; can it be all I heard it was?
I close my eyes and maybe I'm already there.