xffm-icons cvs make rpm errors

edscott wilson garcia edscott at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Jul 29 03:05:50 CEST 2003

Hi Ric,

On lun, 2003-07-28 at 19:16, Ric wrote:
> Hi Edscott:
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> --- edscott wilson garcia <edscott at prodigy.net.mx> wrote:
> > Hi Ric,
> >
> > On lun, 2003-07-28 at 16:06, Ric wrote:
> > > Hi Edscott:
> > >
> > > Well,  config.h.in  is missing... could be others too but that's the only
> > > one I saw that is normally included.  The  config.log  was no help in this
> > >

> > Nope. It can't be that one because it's not used:
> >
> > [xffm-icons]$ autoheader
> > autoheader: error: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS not found in configure.ac
> >

> I don't know how configure.in, configure.ac, autoheader, autoconf and
> acsite.m4 all work together because I really do not know auto* intricacies.
>
> However, if all the other programs, even xfce4-themes and xfwm4-themes, have
> config.h.in, perhaps that should be in configure.in (or ? configure.ac or?) so
> that config.h.in -> config.h is generated. Those other xfce4 programs include:
>
> AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)

Since xffm-icons does no compiling, it is not used. The only thing the
makefile has to do is copy the directories of the icons to
$prefix/share/xffm. So having to call autoheader, autoconf and automake
should never be necessary...

> in the configure.ac file(note: there is no "S").
> The info configure page gives, for your convenience:
>
>     This is what you should normally put in `configure.in':
>           AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h:config.in)
>
> Also, they use
>
> AM_MAINTAINER_MODE
>
> in the configure.ac (for Cygnus compatibility).
> >From the info configure/Index/AM_MAINTAINER_MODE file, for your convenience:
>
>      If this macro is used, the `--enable-maintainer-mode' option is
>      required to enable automatic rebuilding of generated files used by
>      the configure system.  This of course requires that developers be
>      aware of, and use, that option.
>      If this macro is not used, then the generated files will always be
>      rebuilt automatically.  This will cause problems if the wrong
>      versions of autoconf, automake, or others are in the builder's
>      `PATH'.

Ah, that seems to explain it.

> (note: that's only when using automake )
>
> That last little bit about ''will cause problems'', might be what happened.
>
> Of course my auto* stuff is older than the versions y'all use so the '' info
> configure '' for those items might have incorrect information for
> applicability to the newer versions.
>
> Obviously, I'm out on a limb, :), 'cause, as I said, I really do not know
> auto* intricacies... yet.
>
> Anyway, I still hope that helps a bit.

Thanks. I've added the AM_MAINTAINER_MODE to cvs. I hope it fixes the
issue.

regards,

Edscott