xfce4 on solaris 8/sparc

Craig A. Betts craig.betts at dfrc.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 28 16:34:29 CEST 2003

brad flight wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am a recent convert to the wonderful xfce desktop. i have been
> quite happy with xfce3, and with the announcement of xfce4 rc2
> i was ready to make the jump.
>
> anyway, to make a long story short, i compiled xfce4 from source with no
> issue (except for fce4-mixer-3.99.2, but i don't really use the audio
> on my ultrasparc anyway), but after it was built, i noticed 2 things.
>
> first, unlike xfce3, xfce4 didn't automatically add itself to CDE's xdm.
> (dealing with cde's xdm is a *real* pita)
>
> and second, when i tried to start xfce4 from the command line (using
> startxfce4) it simply kicked me back to the command line.
>
> did i miss something? :)
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> -brad

Brad-

I am in the process of making a dtlogin script for XFce4.  In the mean
time, here is what I am currently using...

1) Load some other Window Manager (i.e. Gnome, KDE) and use there
dtlogin manager script to generate a session manager entry.

2) Build the .xinitrc script for XFce (see docs for XFce for explanation)

3) Logout and select the window manager you installed in step 1

The .xinitrc file should override the selected manager and give you
XFce.  Hope this helps.  :)

--
Craig A. Betts
IT Security Design Engineer