encoding of filenames

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Fri Jul 25 04:24:03 CEST 2003

El jue, 24-07-2003 a las 18:16, Koblinger Egmont escribió:
> Hi,
>
> xffm expects filenames to be in the current locale. This way if I create a
> file with one locale, its name might be different with other locales.
>
> When creating a new directory, I can enter any name. If it contains a
> character that doesn't fit in my locale, the directory isn't be created,
> but no error message is printed, it just silently fails.
>
> Quoting from gtk2's README:
>
> ----- quote begins -----
> * The assumption of GLib and GTK+ by default is that filenames on the
>   filesystem are encoded in UTF-8 rather than the encoding of the locale;
>   The GTK+ developers consider that having filenames whose interpretation
>   depends on the current locale is fundamentally a bad idea.
>
>   If you have filenames encoded in the encoding of your locale, then
>   you may want to set the G_BROKEN_FILENAMES environment variable:
>
>    G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=1
>    export G_BROKEN_FILENAMES
> ----- quote ends -----
>
> I've never in my life set this environment variable.
>
> Personally I completely agree with the Glib/Gtk developers. Gnome2 already
> uses UTF-8 encoded filenames. IMHO it would be a nice move if XFce did it
> too.

Initially it was set as such. But then it was changed to use the locale
so that output from xterm was readable. If you have filenames in utf8,
xffm should display them correctly. It is very reasonable to put in a
checkbox option "Specify filenames in UTF-8". Just remind me to do so
after 4.0 because we are frozen now.

regards,

Edscott