encoding of filenames

Koblinger Egmont egmont at uhulinux.hu
Fri Jul 25 01:16:28 CEST 2003

Hi,

xffm expects filenames to be in the current locale. This way if I create a
file with one locale, its name might be different with other locales.

When creating a new directory, I can enter any name. If it contains a
character that doesn't fit in my locale, the directory isn't be created,
but no error message is printed, it just silently fails.

Quoting from gtk2's README:

----- quote begins -----
* The assumption of GLib and GTK+ by default is that filenames on the
  filesystem are encoded in UTF-8 rather than the encoding of the locale;
  The GTK+ developers consider that having filenames whose interpretation
  depends on the current locale is fundamentally a bad idea.

  If you have filenames encoded in the encoding of your locale, then
  you may want to set the G_BROKEN_FILENAMES environment variable:

   G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=1
   export G_BROKEN_FILENAMES
----- quote ends -----

I've never in my life set this environment variable.

Personally I completely agree with the Glib/Gtk developers. Gnome2 already
uses UTF-8 encoded filenames. IMHO it would be a nice move if XFce did it
too.

bye,
Egmont