Feature Request

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 18:24:56 CEST 2003

Hi Jasper:

--- Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at moongroup.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:54:09 -0700 (PDT)
> Ric <fhj52ads at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jeff:

> > There are already quite a few programs that do these things and much,
> > much more so I do not see why xfdesktop must do them too.   Adding
> > these kinds of widgets would be okay but is a duplication of effort
> > and, as such, defeats the purpose of using existing tools to
> > accomplish tasks.
> >

> 1) xfdesktop integrates nicely with the xfce settings manager.

Yes, I like xfdesktop - wish i could run it rather than the work around but
have been running chbg for the bg for ~3years; am used to it and all the nice
pics.  I never have to fool with the background but always get changes.  The
same background, to me, all the time, is too MS windows-ish...

> 2) it is implemented as a fullscreen window covering the root window, to
> make implementing the menu easier and originally to be able to implement
> icons for minimized windows. This methhod is BTW recommended by
> freedesktop standards and also implemented by GNOME, KDE and ROX.
>
> 3) given 2, xfdesktop will not work with other background utilities.
>
> So, basically, it needs a rewrite to support what you want. I'm not
> saying it will never be done, but it is non-trivial.

That's too bad.  I am very sorry to hear that it is not trivial.  I was hoping
that it would be at least almost as easy as adding a bunch of new widgets.

Thanks for the info/reply.

> 	Jasper

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Thought for today:
Software is like sex: it's better when it's free.