Feature Request

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Thu Jul 24 17:42:36 CEST 2003

Hey,

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:54:09 -0700 (PDT)
Ric <fhj52ads at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeff:

> There are already quite a few programs that do these things and much,
> much more so I do not see why xfdesktop must do them too.   Adding
> these kinds of widgets would be okay but is a duplication of effort
> and, as such, defeats the purpose of using existing tools to
> accomplish tasks.

1) xfdesktop integrates nicely with the xfce settings manager.

2) it is implemented as a fullscreen window covering the root window, to
make implementing the menu easier and originally to be able to implement
icons for minimized windows. This methhod is BTW recommended by
freedesktop standards and also implemented by GNOME, KDE and ROX.

3) given 2, xfdesktop will not work with other background utilities.

So, basically, it needs a rewrite to support what you want. I'm not
saying it will never be done, but it is non-trivial.

	Jasper