Defaults

BluPhoenyx quazar at dcnet2000.com
Thu Jul 24 03:29:17 CEST 2003

On 23 Jul 2003 10:43:39 -0500
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:

> It doesn't always do the trick. In FreeBSD, the moused daemon
> (simile of gpm on linux) only is useful with two buttons if you swap
> button 2 for 3, leaving the button ids as 1 and 2. On running X with
> the "sysmouse", the emulate3buttons option no longer works. But if
> you consider that button3 is used almost always for popups, and your
> keyboard probably has a non used button with a popup menu on it,
> logic dictates that you should be able to use that key to replace
> button3. This option is working in xffm but is only active if your
> xf86config file specifies your keyboard as pc105 (or similar).

Yes, I knew that there would be some exceptions. In the world of X there always is. I've seen some similar issues using the gpm driver on certain Linux distros and tend to not use it myself. Text mode mouse drivers aren't much use to me and gpm can sometimes be a security risk (again, this depends on the distro and gpm version used.)

Based on your description, the FreeBSD daemon isn't exactly like the gpm program. Is it required for X to be able to access the mouse? If not, then this exception would normally only arise with a user who should have enough experience to know (or figure out) what the problem is.

Such is life in the world of computer software. Thank (insert your preferred deity here) that we still have the option of selecting and using the softwares we prefer. At the rate the 'industry' is going this may not be an option much longer.

Mike T.