Tips

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Wed Jul 23 07:29:52 CEST 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:08:28 +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work for me. Whatever I do, it
> complains about missing "fortune".
>
> As I agree that "fortune" is needed to get fortune messages :) I
> hardly understand why forture is required when "tips" is selected, and
> even why fortune missing prevents xfce4-tips to display tips at all...

I assume it uses fortune-style .dat file to store the tips and uses
fortune to display them. This is acceptable reuse of available tools
IMHO.

On RH, fortune is installed in /usr/games/fortune which is not in the
$PATH. Add it to $PATH and it works.

> Another missing is a way to say "Don"t display at startup" - using a
> flag file or something in $HOME/.xfce4/

yes, thats needed.

> Maybe it's just me, but if I can't get it to work the way I expect it,
> guess what a newcomer will think....

Fair point.

Guess it needs some work. Will look at it post-4.0.

-- b