suse8.2

Scott Jones scott at exti.net
Tue Jul 22 09:34:40 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 02:14, Ric wrote:

> --- David Price <davidmprice at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > I have installed rpms for suse but cannot get xfce4 to be
> > recognised in either
> > kdm or gdm can anybody help with wich file needs editing please.
>
> This is a problem with MDK too as there is no post script to update
> those. Sorry to hear that 'cause my build is _just_ done and I was
> kinda hoping I could 'just use it'. Oh well, it is just one more
> little thing to do:
>
> run chksession -k , for kde and chksession -g for gdm to find out
> what is listed.
> fndsession should add XFce4 to the list(s). (/usr/sbin/fndSession on
> MDK systems)

Must be a Mandrake thing; SuSE doesn't have chksession or fndsession.

> the kdm configuration is in the
> /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
> on MDK systems  but I would suggest using the kde control center
> -Login Mgr(or somethin like that) and "Add" XFce4 to it if fndsession
> does not work for you.

In SuSE 8.2 systems, kdm's config is kept in
/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc.  There must be a better way to
add XFce4 to the greeter, but I have a quick hack to do so (I'm not
much at shell scripts, so if anyone can come up with a cleaner or
better way to do this, have at it):

(watch the linewrap)
======
#!/bin/sh
#run as root

cp /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc.old

ln -s `which startxfce4` /usr/X11R6/bin/XFce4

sed s/SessionTypes=/SessionTypes=XFce4,/
/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc >
/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/outfile

mv /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/outfile
/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

chmod 600 /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
=====

Run this, then restart the X server, and Robert is your mother's
brother.