Xfce4 rc2 is out

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 13:06:57 CEST 2003

--- Koblinger Egmont <egmont at uhulinux.hu> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Scott Jones wrote:
>
> > BTW, Ilkka, your rpm of dbh seems to be broken.  The symlinks that
> > should be libdbh-1.0.so.1 and libdbh.so are made as libdbh-1.0.1 and
> > libdbh.  Building from the srpm has the same problem, but creating an
> > rpm from the tarball using checkinstall works just fine.
>
> I've once met this situation (.so missing from the filename). It was
> caused by a libtool replacement from 1.5 to 1.4. Some distros (e.g.
> Mandrake and UHU) replace libtool before compiling an application, since
> libtool is one of the worst software available for unices with many bugs
> which especially arise with destdir installations. Hence some distros
> choose to replace the libtool shipped by the application with their own
> version of libtool. You might not see this step in an rpm spec file, e.g.
> at mandrake this step is included by default in %configure. When our
> libtool was still at 1.4.3 but we tried to compile apps that had libtool
> 1.5 inside their tarball, the phenomenon was exactly the one described by
> Scott: everything was okay except for the ".so" missing from the filename.
>

> bye,
> Egmont

Mandrake _still_ uses 1.4. They even have a "libtoolize" when necessary in
their spec files:
%build
# we don't use libtool 1.5 yet
%define __libtoolize /bin/true
which if added to the dbh.spec file(in %build) causes the srpm and rpm to have
the correct names for the lib. ( i.e., it does /usr/bin/install -c
.libs/libdbh-1.0.so.1.0.0 /var/tmp/dbh-root/usr/lib/libdbh-1.0.so.1.0.0  the
way it should)

Of course that is only for MDK systems...

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Thought for today:
The price of freedom is responsibility, but it's a bargain, because freedom is priceless. ~ Hugh Downs