xfce4-session & XEmacs

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Jul 18 23:06:44 CEST 2003

On Fri, 18, Jul 2003, Ric wrote:

> > Autostart is handled by xfsm as well (since 0.0.2x)
>
> Yes, I know and that is a problem, here.  It always runs .../Autostart/* even
> if
> I do not have it in the xinitrc file.

I'll add an option to disable it.

> > Ok, I suggest you to close xemacs by hand before logging out for now.
> > This is really a xemacs IMHO. I'll try to work-around it, but that'll
> > take some time.
>
> That's fine, can do.
> Many of the problems that are occurring here with xfsm do not happen in XFce
> 3.
> It _has_ (not "had" - it ain't dead yet... ) '' builtin session management ''
> according
> to the .xsession-errors message that is generated every time I run XFce 3.
> Although your xfsm can do much more I am sure, eventually,  what XFce 3 does
> now is PDG.  Ask Olivier...

I did, and Xfce3 had no *real* session management. Just pseudo session
management done by the window manager. I know the Gnome people have
lots of work-arounds in their session manager to support various
broken apps, and just to make things clear: I won't do so, fix the
applications instead. The xemacs problem might be solvable, don't
know, we'll see. Anyway you cannot compare xfce3 to xfce4(.2) in this
case since this are two completly different things.

> Also, maybe, running XFce v3 would help give an idea of what (XFce) end users
> will expect to just work.

"Just work" is easy to say, if you're not the one to make it "work" :)

> It really is a great little DE, although not as
> purty & extensible as XFce 4.  I am not positive, but it might be the fastest
> *nix DE in the whole D! world and it has 'some' session management, which,
> BTW, does not depend upon the Autostart crutch to work although it can use it
> if the end user desires it.

The Autostart stuff was moved to xfce4-session because we had various
problems with apps being started before the desktop is running. In
addition it was requested that it should be possible to start apps
_after_ the session manager is done. But you have to take care to not
put apps in Autostart that are actually session aware (even X11R5 are
now managed through smproxy), else you might end up with problems on
startup (depends on the application).

Anyway, xfsm still requires a lot of work, and I'll try to address it
after 4.0 is released. But nevertheless, its more important to have
the actual apps fixed, than adding workarounds to xfsm (thats our
policy for XFce in general, and xfsm will follow that as well).

> Ric

Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/