CVS layout proposal

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue Jul 15 16:56:23 CEST 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:41:53 +0530
Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> wrote:

> One concern is that we seem to be tieing ourselves to '4'. What if we
> decide to start version 5 based on the same codebase?

We make a new xfce5 toplevel directory and copy the code. xfce5 can't be
based on the same codebase, since an increase in major number signifies
a major architectural change ;-)

> Secondly, we need to organise the module structure so that new modules
> can easily be categorised.
>
> Why not:
>
> xfce3/
>
> 	[whatever is the current structure]
>
> xfce/
> 	base/
> 		xfce-wm/
> 		xfce-panel/
> 		xfce-desktop/
> 		[...]
> 	extras/
> 		xfce-panel-plugins/
> 		xfce-dock/
> 		[other desktop tools]
> 	apps/
> 		xfce-calendar
> 		xfce-calculator
> 		xfce-editor
> 		xfce-kitchen-sink

Well one problem is that we suck at categorising things (see current
situation) ;-)

We probably shouldn't fix the categorisation in the CVS layout, but
somewhere else (list of packages). Then we don't have to move things
around when we change our mind.

> Humm, after typing that, I'm starting to think that 'xfce-foo' is a
> little unwieldy -- perhaps 'xffoo' would be better.

well, we probably should never want to write an xfce-editor, but reserve
the'xfce'-prefix for pure desktop stuff. It is rather nice to brand apps
that are usually present for more environment. We can't all call our
calendar app 'calendar' ;-)

	Jasper